- 1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 8oz block of softened Cream Cheese (Philadelphia brand was Grandma's favorite)
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs diced scallions
1 Tbs of butter, melted and lightly browned
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
2 tsp minced fresh dillweed (Fresh is ALWAYS best) or 1 tsp minced dry dillwed
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs coarse salt
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, scallions, melted butter, egg, salt, and dillweed. Add flour, a little at a time, and beat until well mixed. Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until dough doubles.
- Punch down and form the dough into a lightly greased and floured loaf pan for bread loaf. Cover with tea towel and allow to rise until dough doubles again. OR divide dough into 1" balls and drop three balls each opening in a lightly greased and floured muffin pan. Cover with tea towel and allow to rise until dough doubles again.
- Bake loaf for 30 to 45 minutes and rolls for 20 to 30 minutes at 350F.
- While warm, brush the loaf with soft butter and sprinkle with coarse salt (Optional).
Makes 1 loaf or 8 rolls.